There because Alex told me to

Darth Skywalkerbacca
Spammer

Scum Credits : 1662

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Dwarf Fortress Thread

Post by Alex Steiner on Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:47 pm

That, children, is a good example of a "bad" fortress. Now, who can tell me what Darth has done wrong? Urist?

Well, it's all 2D and stuff.

That's right, he's got his whole fort on ONE level. This sandy soil layer is where those dirty hobbits live. His mind is limited by his surface dwelling 2D perception of the world. One must explore in all direction and make best use of their space. Less walking. What else?

He's got heaps of chairs!

Yes, that is a minor inefficiency, since true dwarves have a nice balanced ratio of chairs and tables. Anything else?

He's got no booze!

Excellent! This silly designer has these third-world dwarves drinking pond water. This leads to horrible diseases, like being sober, and excessive sleep.

Other answers I would have accepted were the long narrow hallways, creating congestion and excess walking; the indefensible entrance, allowing dirty thieves to steal the preciouses; or the way the world seems to be stretched in a north-south direction because of the non-square design grids of the miners.

Or Something.

Alex Steiner
Spammer

Scum Credits : 1754

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Skywalkerbacca on Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:05 pm

but my dinig hall is epic and my fortress is huge

Darth Skywalkerbacca
Spammer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The King of Eggs on Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:58 am

Really its Not that big. My storage room would be about as big. 1/4 of a z level on a 3x3 embark

ذا كنت تستطيع قراءة هذا الخروج ثم يمارس الجنس ، تمزح فقط أخيه الله واحد صحيح.

For the good of us all:
This link kills spam

The King of Eggs
Spammer

Scum Credits : 1085

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex Steiner on Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:26 am

The King of Eggs wrote:Really its Not that big. My storage room would be about as big. 1/4 of a z level on a 3x3 embark
Either get some bins or stop cheating or both.

Or Something.

Alex Steiner
Spammer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The King of Eggs on Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:25 pm

I didnt say it was full lol. I have no wood at all. And my other materials are to valuable for bins. Also its mainly the 10,000 platnum bars I started with Razz ooops lol.

For the good of us all:
This link kills spam

The King of Eggs
Spammer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The King of Eggs on Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:07 am

So i just got the wiki blocked at school... Yay for me.

For the good of us all:
This link kills spam

The King of Eggs
Spammer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The King of Eggs on Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:21 am

I deem it unlikely but anyone here wanna try a bloodline game?

For the good of us all:
This link kills spam

The King of Eggs
Spammer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Skywalkerbacca on Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:12 pm

hmm if only I had some reason to avoid such a question like having a heap of school work to do or something hmmmm

Darth Skywalkerbacca
Spammer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The King of Eggs on Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:41 am

Softy.

For the good of us all:
This link kills spam

The King of Eggs
Spammer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex Steiner on Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:38 am

The King of Eggs wrote:I deem it unlikely but anyone here wanna try a bloodline game?
You can start it, I'll go next. Hopefully it takes longer than a fortnight for you to finish a year (hint hint).

You absolutely must takes screenshots throughout, do something interesting, write some stunning prose to convey the awesome story of the fort. Use vanilla (no mods) of the latest version, and we have to agree on some rules.

If it goes ahead, it deserves its own thread. Don't start it until we have some conditions.

What sort of location and size?

Tilesets Y/N?

Nicknames, fort name?

Depending on the complexity we should be able to host saves on here, to allow others to participate, otherwise we'll use some other way (msn supports file streaming, otherwise there are lots of hosting sites).

Or Something.

Alex Steiner
Spammer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The King of Eggs on Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:31 am

Make it so:

Darth
The King of Eggs
Alex Steiner

so far

For the good of us all:
This link kills spam

The King of Eggs
Spammer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex Steiner on Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:33 am

I heard Overlord wanted to play.

The embark should be 4x4, with mountain and some form of treed area. Running water is good for waterfalls.

Sedimentary layers are good for ores, flux for steel.

What else?

It might be better if I went first Razz .

Or Something.

Alex Steiner
Spammer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Supreme Overlord on Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:38 am

I'll practice. Who has a good version I can use?

Never put off until tomorrow what you can avoid doing entirely.

Supreme Overlord, Hank Wimbleton (from Madness Combat), Epic Serial Killer, Endured Unto Infinity

Supreme Overlord
Spammer

Scum Credits : 2544

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The King of Eggs on Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:39 am

I love this but Alex said no Sad

generates a world with a site with a flat volcano, river, and flux, a HFS Tower etc.

Spoiler:
[WORLD_GEN]
[TITLE:AWESOME REGION]
[SEED]
[DIM]
[EMBARK_POINTS]
[END_YEAR]
[BEAST_END_YEAR]
[REVEAL_ALL_HISTORY]
[CULL_HISTORICAL_FIGURES]
[ELEVATION]
[RAINFALL]
[TEMPERATURE]
[DRAINAGE]
[VOLCANISM]
[SAVAGERY]
[ELEVATION_FREQUENCY]
[RAIN_FREQUENCY]
[DRAINAGE_FREQUENCY]
[TEMPERATURE_FREQUENCY]
[SAVAGERY_FREQUENCY]
[VOLCANISM_FREQUENCY]
[TITAN_NUMBER]
[TITAN_ATTACK_TRIGGER]
[DEMON_NUMBER]
[GOOD_SQ_COUNTS]
[EVIL_SQ_COUNTS]
[PEAK_NUMBER_MIN]
[PARTIAL_OCEAN_EDGE_MIN]
[COMPLETE_OCEAN_EDGE_MIN]
[VOLCANO_MIN]
[REGION_COUNTS:SWAMP:260:1:1]
[REGION_COUNTS:DESERT:260:1:1]
[REGION_COUNTS:FOREST:1040:3:3]
[REGION_COUNTS:MOUNTAINS:2080:2:2]
[REGION_COUNTS:OCEAN:2080:1:1]
[REGION_COUNTS:GLACIER:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:TUNDRA:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:GRASSLAND:2080:3:3]
[REGION_COUNTS:HILLS:2080:3:3]
[EROSION_CYCLE_COUNT]
[RIVER_MINS]
[PERIODICALLY_ERODE_EXTREMES]
[OROGRAPHIC_PRECIPITATION]
[SUBREGION_MAX]
[CAVERN_LAYER_COUNT]
[CAVERN_LAYER_OPENNESS_MIN]
[CAVERN_LAYER_OPENNESS_MAX]
[CAVERN_LAYER_PASSAGE_DENSITY_MIN]
[CAVERN_LAYER_PASSAGE_DENSITY_MAX]
[CAVERN_LAYER_WATER_MIN]
[CAVERN_LAYER_WATER_MAX]
[HAVE_BOTTOM_LAYER_1]
[HAVE_BOTTOM_LAYER_2]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_GROUND]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_1]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_2]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_3]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_4]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_5]
[LEVELS_AT_BOTTOM]
[CAVE_MIN_SIZE]
[CAVE_MIN_SIZE]
[CAVE_MAX_SIZE]
[MOUNTAIN_CAVE_MIN]
[NON_MOUNTAIN_CAVE_MIN]
[ALL_CAVES_VISIBLE]
[SHOW_EMBARK_TUNNEL]
[TOTAL_CIV_NUMBER]
[TOTAL_CIV_POPULATION]
[PLAYABLE_CIVILIZATION_REQUIRED]
[ELEVATION_RANGES]
[RAIN_RANGES]
[DRAINAGE_RANGES]
[SAVAGERY_RANGES]
[VOLCANISM_RANGES]

Last edited by The King of Eggs on Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:50 am; edited 1 time in total

For the good of us all:
This link kills spam

The King of Eggs
Spammer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex Steiner on Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:40 am

The DF website has a good version Razz .

Tilesets?

Or Something.

Alex Steiner
Spammer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Supreme Overlord on Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:44 am

If only I had internet that wasn't blocked... (but I think I have an older version at home; does it really matter?)
I think a tileset would be a good idea.

Never put off until tomorrow what you can avoid doing entirely.

Supreme Overlord, Hank Wimbleton (from Madness Combat), Epic Serial Killer, Endured Unto Infinity

Supreme Overlord
Spammer

Scum Credits : 2544

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex Steiner on Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:49 am

Tileset or graphics pack?

I vote tileset yes, graphics pack no.

This means that everything's square, dwarves aren't smiley faces, but cats look like "c" and goblins "g".

I have the vanilla game and a copy of the Phoebus pack preinstalled (both windows .31.16). They're around 8 MB each, but most of that is music, which can be taken out with little (zero IMHO) loss.

Or Something.

Alex Steiner
Spammer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex Steiner on Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:49 am

We have a setup sorted. Based on the LazyNewbPack, but without the hacking tools, and everything compressed.

Fortress naming is different from what I though it would be.

There are 7 categories:
  • Front Compound
  • Rear Compound
  • First Adjective
  • Second Adjective
  • Hyphen Compound
  • The X
  • Of X
You are presented with an extensive list of words to put in each category. Front and Rear Compound make up the main part of the name, like BoatMurdered or FlareChannel or CultLanterns. The adjectives and hyphen compound only appear if you have a "The X", and the "Of X" goes on the end.

[Front Compound][Rear Compound] The [First Adjective] [Second Adjective] [Hyphen Compound]-[The X] Of [Of X]

This allows for complex and funny names. I randomised it, and I got "Rimtargisek Migrurerithcuborsidos Reked", or translated: "CastleCobras The Oceanic Laborious Worker-Button Of Butter". Not a great option - makes no sense Razz .

I'd not use all of the categories, it gets too wordy and would be shortened anyway.

We can name our group in a similar way, but it favors "The X of Y" over "XY" (which is the default fortress format).

Dwarves are nicknamed as a string, so suggest your name and profession. I will be Alex Steiner, Miner-Mason. Unfortunately, the gender of the dwarf cannot be changed, so you'll get what you're given Razz (although there is no differentiation between the two, except when a baby pops into existence).

Submissions? Fortress name, Group name, Dwarf name.

Or Something.

Alex Steiner
Spammer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Skywalkerbacca on Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:03 pm

[img][/img]

I just got invaded again I now have a population of 1 Yay for goblins

Darth Skywalkerbacca
Spammer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex Steiner on Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:52 pm

I started a fort in a new world today, Stibmerzas, or Shorecrystals. Unsure where to carve the entrance, I decided to do something new and have the majority aboveground. The civ screen showed only dwarves, so I wasn't concerned with invasions, and I had some war dogs to fend off the thieves.

Since I'd planned to be stonecrafting, my income was down. I got by making stuff from wood. I eventually selected an area at the bottom of a valley, the roots of a brook. Placing my workshops around there, I removed the ramps leading down to me, creating a choke point for the dogs.

Since beds chairs and tables can only be placed inside, I created a small wooden ceiling from one side of the valley, first for my bookkeeper to work, and later expanded to house the beds. nearby I established several farm plots to grow the crops I'd gathered from the surrounds. With the basics covered, I turned to establishing Shorecrystals.

The valley entrance pointed straight at the brook, 4 tiles wide at this crossing, so I decided to go grand and create a ramped entry directly under the rushing water, perhaps replacing the sides with glass at a later the date (the brook froze over in early spring, so I knew it would be easy to do next winter). Digging a 7-tile wide tunnel down to the stone, I placed the trade depot in a central position, and began expanding the storage space.

During this time, I'd accepted only 5 migrants, bringing my population to 12. To separate my entry from the planned aboveground area, I constructed a stone wall in front of the brook, behind the ramps, and sideways along the paved road. At the same time I dug upwards on the other side, which forced invaders to pass through the center of the trade depot before reaching the bulk of my stuff across the water.

The dwarf caravan arrived soon after, in mid autumn, but the unhelpful prig of a citydwarf expected massive profits from my measly offerings (he refused a profit of 750, finally refusing to barter any more and leaving). Nothing from the mountainhomes, I pushed on, expanding my workshop variety, clearing the forests, and refined my bulk stone to blocks for the grand 7 wide roadway. I had an idea to create an archway above the valley entrance, 2 z-levels high right down to the brook, made only of white stone blocks.

Winter swept in, and with it came the first kobold incursions. The three bold thieves were spotted at the entrance (since I'd set it as my meeting area) and chased off by the dogs. One was armed with a steel dagger, and grievously injured one of the dogs before falling to the others. Since the brook had frozen over months ago, and wasn't going to thaw for a few more, the dog died of thirst, unable to be cared for.

Towards the end of winter, a soap maker was taken by a fey mood, and created a cedar cup, decorated with willow and kobold bones. Now legendary at the craft of wood carving, he was put to work generating needed income for Shorecrystals.

As spring rolled around, a wave of 17 migrants more than doubling the population, taking it to 29. With this new workforce, I dug out two more layers, and started smoothing them off. The road was also extended another 30 tiles outside, all off white stone blocks.

With so many idle dwarves, I started training a pair of wrestlers, one already a competent macedwarf (if only I had a mace). With the new dining hall partly smoothed, stockpiles moving inside and a well covered entrance meeting area, the road now requiring controlled cave-ins to continue ever closer to the edge of the map, the forests being cleared to make way for the expansion of Shorecrystals, it came as a surprise when a caravan of elves appeared.

Normally I'd dump a pile of stone trinkets on them in exchange for their close and exotic creatures, since they don't like us harming the wood Rolling Eyes . This time, however, I'd been focusing mainly on woodcarving, since I had a legendary in the fort. Luckily I still had the trinkets the dwarves refused, and, less than enthusiastic about the elves cloth heavy offering, I could afford all I wanted.

With all of the activity that spring brings, summer came quickly. Even though it was obvious I had no intention of trading further, the elves were still there. In a lull in building work (a bottleneck at the rock block production), smoothing of a second layer almost complete, another band of thieves turned away, I was complacent.

An Ambush! Curse them!

Zoom to location. 7 well armed goblins, spears, axes, maces, there.

In my meeting area.

The dwarves scattered to the countryside, running away from the safety of the fortress.

The goblins, well travelled and agile, chased them down.

Those left inside, ignoring all commands to the contrary, raced outside to collect their comrades fallen belongings.

The happiness of the population travelled from green to yellow to red. A stonecrafter threw a tantrum.

The population of dwarves fell and fell until only 5 remained.

4 were outside, fleeing the goblins.

The 5th, the engraver, continued her work, smoothing the dining hall, the red arrow of miserable floating above her head.

She was made expedition leader, and was finally oredered to escape, dig a shelter, weather the storm.

On her way there, she was finally taken by fatigue, and her instincts pointed her backwards, towards the fortress, to the safe beds.

The goblins had the same idea, and were just then leaving the fortress, wiping the blood of the last dwarves from their weapons. They met the last dwarf, a legendary engraver in her own right, just as they reached the surface.

Death came quickly for Shorecrystals, and it shows, no matter how grand an entrance may be, it must only be as wide as you can defend.

Oh, and I just went through the DTherapist log. I found this hilarious:
Spoiler:
2010-Nov-06 23:02:00.421 DEBUG core Ignoring "Stinthad Logemzimkel" who appears to be "dead, Jim." [..\dwarftherapist\src\dwarf.cpp:498] (get_dwarf)
2010-Nov-06 23:02:00.421 DEBUG core Ignoring "Stodir Amalmeng" who appears to be "dead, Jim." [..\dwarftherapist\src\dwarf.cpp:498] (get_dwarf)
2010-Nov-06 23:02:00.421 DEBUG core Ignoring "Aban Oslanluzat" who appears to be "dead, Jim." [..\dwarftherapist\src\dwarf.cpp:498] (get_dwarf)
2010-Nov-06 23:02:00.421 DEBUG core Ignoring "Kel Zuglarlosis" who appears to be "dead, Jim." [..\dwarftherapist\src\dwarf.cpp:498] (get_dwarf)
2010-Nov-06 23:02:00.421 DEBUG core Ignoring "Logem Amunib" who appears to be "dead, Jim." [..\dwarftherapist\src\dwarf.cpp:498] (get_dwarf)
2010-Nov-06 23:02:00.531 DEBUG core Ignoring "Olon Rabtirist" who appears to be "dead, Jim." [..\dwarftherapist\src\dwarf.cpp:498] (get_dwarf)
2010-Nov-06 23:02:00.531 DEBUG core Ignoring "Momuz Thortithcerol" who appears to be "dead, Jim." [..\dwarftherapist\src\dwarf.cpp:498] (get_dwarf)
2010-Nov-06 23:02:00.531 DEBUG core Ignoring "Dumed Oltarlolor" who appears to be "dead, Jim." [..\dwarftherapist\src\dwarf.cpp:498] (get_dwarf)
2010-Nov-06 23:02:00.531 DEBUG core Ignoring "Sakzul Kosothrisen" who appears to be "dead, Jim." [..\dwarftherapist\src\dwarf.cpp:498] (get_dwarf)
2010-Nov-06 23:02:00.531 DEBUG core Ignoring "Zon Bomrekcatten" who appears to be "dead, Jim." [..\dwarftherapist\src\dwarf.cpp:498] (get_dwarf)
2010-Nov-06 23:02:00.546 DEBUG core Ignoring "Zefon Adtekkud" who appears to be "dead, Jim." [..\dwarftherapist\src\dwarf.cpp:498] (get_dwarf)
2010-Nov-06 23:02:00.546 DEBUG core Ignoring "Ingiz Koliseth" who appears to be "dead, Jim." [..\dwarftherapist\src\dwarf.cpp:498] (get_dwarf)
2010-Nov-06 23:02:00.546 DEBUG core Ignoring "Tekkud Vunomcog" who appears to be "dead, Jim." [..\dwarftherapist\src\dwarf.cpp:498] (get_dwarf)
2010-Nov-06 23:02:00.546 DEBUG core Ignoring "Stodir Tadas" who appears to be "dead, Jim." [..\dwarftherapist\src\dwarf.cpp:498] (get_dwarf)
2010-Nov-06 23:02:00.546 DEBUG core Ignoring "Thob Stizashzefon" who appears to be "dead, Jim." [..\dwarftherapist\src\dwarf.cpp:498] (get_dwarf)
2010-Nov-06 23:02:00.546 DEBUG core Ignoring "Vabok Kamukbim" who appears to be "dead, Jim." [..\dwarftherapist\src\dwarf.cpp:498] (get_dwarf)
2010-Nov-06 23:02:00.562 DEBUG core Ignoring "Amost Atulgeshud" who appears to be "dead, Jim." [..\dwarftherapist\src\dwarf.cpp:498] (get_dwarf)
2010-Nov-06 23:02:00.562 DEBUG core Ignoring "Ingish Nilesnil" who appears to be "dead, Jim." [..\dwarftherapist\src\dwarf.cpp:498] (get_dwarf)
2010-Nov-06 23:02:00.562 DEBUG core Ignoring "Erush Adillimar" who appears to be "dead, Jim." [..\dwarftherapist\src\dwarf.cpp:498] (get_dwarf)
2010-Nov-06 23:02:00.562 DEBUG core Ignoring "Onul Muthkatidok" who appears to be "dead, Jim." [..\dwarftherapist\src\dwarf.cpp:498] (get_dwarf)
2010-Nov-06 23:02:00.562 DEBUG core Ignoring "Momuz Okolinod" who appears to be "dead, Jim." [..\dwarftherapist\src\dwarf.cpp:498] (get_dwarf)
2010-Nov-06 23:02:00.562 DEBUG core Ignoring "Kol Degeldakas" who appears to be "dead, Jim." [..\dwarftherapist\src\dwarf.cpp:498] (get_dwarf)
2010-Nov-06 23:02:00.562 DEBUG core Ignoring "Kel Rakustsalul" who appears to be "dead, Jim." [..\dwarftherapist\src\dwarf.cpp:498] (get_dwarf)
2010-Nov-06 23:02:00.562 DEBUG core Ignoring "Uzol Keskallotol" who appears to be "dead, Jim." [..\dwarftherapist\src\dwarf.cpp:498] (get_dwarf)
2010-Nov-06 23:02:00.562 DEBUG core Ignoring "Dastot Lemisoddom" who appears to be "dead, Jim." [..\dwarftherapist\src\dwarf.cpp:498] (get_dwarf)
2010-Nov-06 23:02:00.578 DEBUG core Ignoring "Asen Tobulasmel" who appears to be "dead, Jim." [..\dwarftherapist\src\dwarf.cpp:498] (get_dwarf)
2010-Nov-06 23:02:00.578 DEBUG core Ignoring "Deler Lorbamtathtak" who appears to be "dead, Jim." [..\dwarftherapist\src\dwarf.cpp:498] (get_dwarf)

To test save transfer, here's the world file:

http://www.filedropper.com/testworldfile

You can reclaim Shorecrystals if you want.

Last edited by Alex Steiner on Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:51 am; edited 2 times in total

Or Something.

Alex Steiner
Spammer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex Steiner on Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:51 am

Tower design:

The dots on the left are a binary ruler, next to it is a cross section of the tower, and then some mucking around with circles and squares. I've concluded circles are too messy, so there will be a great square tower. You might need to zoom in to see it - one pixel is one square.

It can be cut off at any of the junctions, space permitting, and the top will probably have a statue or something.This blueprint is 100 z-levels high, the next layer would be another 20 or so.

I had an idea of carving it underground, then collapsing the soil layer on top of it, creating a great tower rising from the earth with grass and trees growing on it.

Lots of extra work though, since the top would be ground level.

Oh, and after using Phoebus tileset for a while, I've switched to Mayday. Phoebus just didn't provide enough contrast between dirt wall and dirt floor (among some other gripes of mine).

Even if you don't play dwarf fortress (yet Twisted Evil ), you can still submit your name to be a part of the band of settlers, as well as suggest the name for the fort.

Or Something.

Alex Steiner
Spammer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The King of Eggs on Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:39 am

^^ well writen although I like 1st person more.

For the good of us all:
This link kills spam

The King of Eggs
Spammer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex Steiner on Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:35 am

The King of Eggs wrote:^^ well writen although I like 1st person more.
I don't see how it was well written - the only thing I did consciously were the short paragraphs at the end.

Suggestions?

Pick any two:
Farmer?
Stonecrafter?
Miner?
Mason?
Carpenter?
Bookkeeper/broker?
Wood Cutter?
Herbalist?
Brewer?
Fishing/Fish Preparation?
Some other thing I've overlooked?

Although we don't want one dwarf with all the hard jobs, one that only works once a season, so try to get one common one rare used skill.

You don't have to play to claim a dwarf!

Or Something.

Alex Steiner
Spammer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The King of Eggs on Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:23 am

Imma clean those fish, and once that becomes redundant, conscript me!

For the good of us all:
This link kills spam

The King of Eggs
Spammer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next